The course is intended to prepare learners to work with children as a Learning Support Educator in a classroom situation. The qualifications provide the theoretical knowledge and understanding of child development and education and in addition to this the learner will at the end of the course have the needed skills to be able to act as a support LSE, this is necessary for working with children in a variety of job roles and settings and will enable learners to apply this knowledge in practical environments.
The qualifications aim to allow learners to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of child development, education,
- Health and safety of children and the value of play
- Develop their professional skills and vocationally appropriate competence
- Implement, evaluate and reflect on professional practice
- Develop understanding of inclusive practice and value diversity
In addition to this the learner will be introduced to a number of additional modules on an in depth basis which will broaden and deepen their knowledge within the Childcare industry, these include in depth modules on the psychology of learning, supporting children with special needs and how to deal with numeracy and literacy.
This course when completed will ensure that the learners will have acquired the responsibility and autonomy to complete a wide series of tasks.
Lessons are held once weekly. Each lesson is 3 hours long. There will be 140 contact hours in total. In addition students are expected to complete 110 hours of work experience
You would need to be in possession of the Supply LSE course (10 week course) plus O levels or equivalent in Maths, English and Maltese. Persons not in possession of the O levels can sit for a proficiency test in the respective subject.
Topics covered and ECVET credits
1. Advanced introduction to Child and Adolescent Development Number of ECTS: 2
2. Introduction to Psychology of Learning Number of ECTS: 2
3. Intra/Inter-Personal Skills in the Classroom Number of ECTS: 2
4. Introduction to Diversity and Inclusion in the Classroom Number of ECTS: 2
5. Introduction to Literacy in the Classroom Number of ECTS: 2
6. Introduction to Numeracy to the Classroom Number of ECTS: 2
7. Supporting Children with Communication Difficulties Number of ECTS: 2
8. Supporting Students with SEBDs Number of ECTS: 2
9. Formulation and implementation of IEPs Number of ECTS: 2
10. Principles of Inclusive Education in the Community Number of ECTS: 1
11. First Aid Course Number of ECTS: 2
12. Practical Placement & Learner’s Portfolio ECTS: 7
13. Mid-Course and Final Examination Number of ECTS: 2
Total number of credits: 30 credits
Fee for the course: Euro 980.
The payment is made as follows: Euro 400 (non-refundable) on application and the balance on the first lesson. If you prefer to pay by installments you can opt to do so at a charge of €59(inclusive of VAT). In such a case on the first lesson, you pay Euro 200 (course fee) and €59(inclusive of VAT) installment agreement charge.
Applications will be received on a first-come-first-served basis.
Telephone bookings are not accepted but we will be more than happy to answer your questions via phone.
To book please come to our office and bring with you an ID card, CV, the Supply LSE certificate (10-week course) and a non-refundable deposit of Euro 400. You can also download the application in the Downloads section and fill up them and scan and send your documents by e-mail or send them by post
We are open daily from 8.30 hrs to 17.30 hrs and on Saturdays from 8.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs.
The next course will start soon. Registrations are open.