Central YMCA Qualifications
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
The aim of this qualification is to recognise the skills, knowledge and competence required for an individual to work unsupervised as a personal trainer. This includes being able to offer one – to – one training, baseline assessment, nutritional advice and progressive programming which is specific to the individual needs of a client.
A gym instructor/ personal trainer’s role includes designing and implementing exercise programmes for a range of individual clients by collecting and analysing client information to ensure the effectiveness of personal exercise programmes. A personal trainer should also actively encourage potential clients/ members to join and adhere to regular exercise programmes, employing appropriate motivational strategies to achieve this.
Students who have completed the Level 2 Health and Fitness Instructor course need to complete the following modules:
What will you learn?
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
- Health benefits of exercise
- Programming personal training with clients
- Delivering personal training sessions
The course will include 8 lessons of 2 hours duration in class, 5 preparatory sessions relating to the practical component and 100 hours of work experience which are a mandatory part of the course.
Occupational roles The personal trainer should among other tasks be involved in:
- Collecting information relating to individual clients
- Carrying out fitness assessments to establish client fitness and skill level
- Analysing information relating to individual clients
- Identifying, agreeing and reviewing short, medium and long term goals to ensure the effectiveness of exercise programmes
- Providing a range of exercise programmes in accordance with the needs of the clients by applying principles of exercise programming
- Making best use of the environment in which clients are exercising
- Providing clients with accurate information on the principles of nutrition and weight management
- Promoting healthy activities and related strategies for daily living to clients/ members
Persons interested in attending this course will need to be in possession of the level 2 qualification in health and fitness instructing.
Duration and delivery
The qualification is delivered by lectures through online and Future Focus is online approved centre.
Courses are held twice yearly. The course comprises 12 sessions of 2 hours duration and 100 hours of training as a personal trainer (practical)
Assessment – theory papers, continuous and summative assessment
Euro 980 of which Euro 400 is paid as a non-refundable deposit and the balance on the first lesson.
You may wish to check whether you can get funding to cover the costs of your course from Jobs + under the Training pays scheme.
Traning Pays Scheme From Jobs+