Qualification Number: 603/7029/4
The objective of the OTHM Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Information Technology is to equip learners with the skills and knowledge required to work in the IT sector or progress to further study.
The qualification is designed to ensure that each learner has an opportunity to build sector knowledge and learn current skills and practices in computer systems, networks, coding, website development, mobile communications, cyber security and social media for business.
- OTHM Level 3 qualifications can be offered to learners from age 16.
- OTHM does not specify entry requirements for these qualifications. OTHM ensures that learners admitted to the programme have sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
- OTHM centres must ensure learners are recruited with integrity onto appropriate qualifications that will meet their needs, enable and facilitate learning and achievement enable progression. The qualification is offered in English.
If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page.
OTHM qualifications at Level 3 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to GCE AS/A Levels.
The OTHM Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Information Technology consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 60 credits(30 ECTS), 600 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 240 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Computer Systems (10 credits)
- Coding and Website Development (10 credits)
- Networks (10 credits)
- Mobile Communications (10 credits)
- Cyber Security (10 credits)
- Social Media for Business (10 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study, but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning. The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of the OTHM Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Information Technology provides learners with the opportunity for workplace and academic progressions to a wide range of OTHM Level 4 diplomas.