OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Law qualification is to give learners the opportunities to develop knowledge and understanding of core legal principles and help build foundational professional and research skills.
Learners will study 6 units over one academic year with a total credit value of 120 credits.
These qualifications are designed to provide opportunities for learners to acquire a broad range of knowledge and understanding and to develop a range of skills essential for a successful career in law, The qualification also provides the underpinning knowledge of the law contributing to preparation for the Solicitors Qualifying Examination.
These qualifications are designed for learners who are typically aged 18 and above.
The entry profile for learners is likely to include at least one of the following:
- Relevant Level 3 Diploma
- GCE Advanced level in 2 subjects or equivalent qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with relevant management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page.
- Centres should review the prior qualifications and experience of each learner and consider whether they provide the necessary foundations to undertake the programme of study at level 5.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 4 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Higher National Certificates (HNC) and Year 1 of a three-year UK Bachelor’s degree programme.
The OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Law consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- An Introduction to the English Legal System (20 credits)
- Academic Writing and Research Skills for Law (20 credits)
- Contract Law (20 credits)
- Business Law (20 credits)
- Public Law (20 credits)
- Criminal Law (20 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study, but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the assessor.
The assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Specific assessment guidance and relevant marking criteria for each unit are made available in the Assignment Brief document sent to centres on request.
Successful completion of the OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Law provides learners the opportunity for a wide range of academic progressions including the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Law. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners may be eligible to gain direct entry into Year 3 of a three-year UK Bachelor’s degree programme. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.